Monday 27th February 2017 17:22
We recently did a fascinating survey of the congregation at St Lawrence’s and the results were not at all what I expected.
We have been reading our way through Matthew’s gospel this term and when we got to Matthew 8-10 we discovered that there were lots of healing miracles. So I asked the congregation in a short anonymous questionnaire:
- Do you believe that Jesus healed the sick when he was on earth?
- Do you believe that God heals the sick today in answer to prayer?
- Do you have any experience of God healing the sick today?
I wonder how you would answer these questions and I wonder what you predict the congregation might say?
Well the people of St Lawrence’s said:
- 83% believe that Jesus healed the sick when he walked the earth
- 77% believe that God still heals the sick today in answer to prayer
- And an amazing 51% have had an experience of God healing the sick in their lifetime
There is no doubt that the NHS does a great job. Having seen the medical facilities in Uganda both Alison and I think we would be dead if we lived there. But perhaps the lesson to be learned from this survey is lets both go to the NHS for help and also pray for the sick to be healed. After all if we never pray for the sick to be healed then they will never be healed in answer to prayer!
PS I had a most moving email from one couple telling the story of how God healed their daughter. If you have had an experience of God healing someone then I would love to hear your story too.